Today's News

Space Heater Misuse May Increase Fire Risk

The Knox Center Township Fire Department is reminding residents to follow a few key rules when operating a space heater this winter.

The devices use electricity to help warm various spaces in homes, typically during colder months. Keeping the device too close to flammable household items can result in structure fires or other damage.
Continue reading

Protect Your Pets From Holiday Pitfalls

 Holidays can seem hectic at times,especially for our four-legged friends. The director of pet care issues at the Humane Society of the United States, K.C. Theisen, advises pet owners to take some precautionary steps to ensure a safe holiday for all members of the family, including the furry ones.

Before putting your pets outside consider the weather conditions. Although dogs and cats do have fur coats, they are still in danger of hypothermia or frostbite if left outdoors in freezing temperatures for an extended period of time.

Establish a “safe space” for your pet when guests come to visit. Some pets mingle among groups without an issue but others may be a bit skittish. Having a space where your animals can get away from all the hustle and bustle can reduce anxiety for yourself and your pets.

Keep absolutely all chocolate out of reach because it contains a toxin that is dangerous for cats or dogs to ingest. Plants to place in a pet-free space are poinsettias, mistletoe and holly. These plants can be poisonous and cause stomach problems if consumed.

If your pet is known to act rambunctiously be sure to securely anchor your Christmas tree and place garland, tinsel, breakable decorations and ornaments out of reach. Even the most well-behaved pets can become curious about decorations, so to be safe, hang them in pet free zones.

Grain Bin Safety

Indiana Department of LaborSince 1980 grain bins across the U.S have been responsible for more than 180 deaths and 675 injuries. Just last year, a Hoosier farmer in La Porte county was killed in a grain bin accident. This month a 9-year-old Wisconsin boy was killed after falling into a grain bin. With harvest time approaching the Indiana Department of Labor wants to remind everyone of the hazardous nature of working with grain bins and offer some tips to assure safety.

Continue reading

Click Ad to Visit our Website!