Police say Kimberly Moore, 42, of Knox was stopped at the intersection of State Road 8 and State Road 17 and was preparing to turn north onto State Road 17. Moore entered the intersection and struck a vehicle driven by Nicole Risner, 30, of Plymouth who was traveling south on State Road 17, according to a news release. Both vehicles sustained significant damage. A five-year-old boy, who was seated in the front seat of Moore’s car, suffered minor head and neck injuries after the airbag deployed.
Plymouth High School Key Club members participated in a National Day of Service on Monday to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Several students were at the Plymouth Fire Department washing fire trucks while others were lifting and carrying boxes down flights of stairs to help organize things at the Marshall County Museum. The animals at the Marshall County Humane Society got some exercise Monday morning when the students took them out for walks and played with them. The students also cleaned the cages and gave the animals food and fresh water.
The body of a man was found in the Yellow River Thursday evening.
An autopsy to find the cause of death was conducted Friday. The preliminary cause of death is accidental drowning.
Kayakers notified the Plymouth Police Department on Thursday evening that they found a body in the Yellow River by Oakhill Avenue in Plymouth. The deceased man was recovered by the effort of officers from the Plymouth Police Department, Marshall County Sheriff’s Department, Indiana Conservation officers, Plymouth Fire Department, and the Marshall County Coroner.
The Plymouth Fire Department is looking for a piece of property to construct a live training facility. Fire Chief Rod Miller approached the Marshall County Commissioners Monday morning to request the use of some land at the Marshall County Jail site.
“The purpose of this is to obtain property for this training facility,” explained Miller. “The use of this property would be a multi-agency use for the county departments including police and fire. It would definitely be an opportunity for every department in the county to take advantage of something like this. The closest one that we have now is in Warsaw.”
A Walkerton man who died in a Sunday house fire in Plymouth might be alive today had the home been equipped with smoke detectors. That’s according to fire investigators, who say the early morning blaze in the 400 block of Alexander Street was accidental and electrical in nature. WNDU-TV reports that an extension cord running from the garage to the house was plugged into a six-prong power strip, which was in turn managing several devices, including a stereo and a computer. The cord had become frayed over time and was underneath the couch. At least 10 people were in the house when the fire started around 5:30 Sunday morning. Most everyone got out but realized someone was missing. Anthony Johnson, 21, of Walkerton, died of smoke inhalation. Plymouth Fire Department Assistant Chief John Pasley tells the TV station that smoke detectors could have awakened Johnson and given him ample time to get out of the house. Additionally he says more people could have died had someone not been awake to alert the others when the fire started.
A Sunday morning house fire in Marshall County took the life of a 21-year-old Walkerton man, according to coroners Bill Cleavenger and Brigette Hite. The pair said Anthony Q. Johnson died in the house fire at 459 Alexander St. in Plymouth, and Plymouth firemen found Johnson inside the home toward the rear of the residence.
A structure fire on Dixon Lake Trail in Plymouth damaged a home and destroyed some property, but they didn’t lose everything. Plymouth firefighters were able to not only contain the fire to two rooms in the home, but they also saved the lives of two dogs trapped by the blaze.
A single-vehicle crash in Marshall County Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a Knox man. It happened on State Road 17 near the intersection of 10B road south of Plymouth. Manis Stacy, Jr., 57, had just left work and was southbound on 17 when a piece of metal from a northbound trailer came loose and crashed through the windshield of his truck, according to Marshall County Coroner Bill Cleavenger. Stacy drove off the road into a field and hit a tree. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers from the Marshall County Police Department and Plymouth Fire and EMS responded. Starke County Sheriff Oscar Cowen notified Stacy’s family.
Wednesday’s fire that destroyed a home on Pretty Lake Road in Plymouth owned by two doctors was caused by an electrical malfunction. Plymouth Fire Chief Rod Miller says the fire started in a basement storage room at Doctors Jeff and Jan Anthony Starr’s home. The residence was unoccupied at the time. Firefighters from numerous departments spent several hours bringing the blaze under control. The Plymouth Fire Department, state fire marshal’s office and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms completed the fire investigation. Monetary loss of the building and its contents is estimated at $1.1 million.
Multiple fire departments responded to a house fire on Pretty Lake Road in Marshall County this morning. Dispatchers with the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office say they were called to a home at 16598 Pretty Lake Road. A check of property tax records confirms the home belongs to Dr. Jeffrey Starr, who is a dentist in Plymouth. The property carries an assessed value of $602,000. The state fire marshal’s office has been contacted, and an investigator will be in Marshall County tomorrow.
Arson is suspected in a fire that began Saturday at the Liberty Street Depot in Plymouth. A reward is now being offered by the International Association of Arson Investigators for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the fire.
A reward of up to $5,000 is being offered by the I.A.A.I. People can call in information to 1-800-382-4628. Firefighters say they believe the fire started on the west side of the building in the electrical room, but the electric has been shut off to the building for a year.
A Plymouth woman was arrested Saturday after leaving the scene of an accident.
Officers from the Plymouth Police Department were called to the Plymouth Fire Station in reference to an accident. According to police, a red Jeep had struck the Plymouth Fire Station and two people fled the scene on foot at about 2:35 a.m. ET. Police learned that one possible suspect lived in the Plymouth area.
The Plymouth Fire Department was called to an apartment fire at Garden Court apartments at 5:04 a.m. ET this morning.
Fire Chief Andy Metzger told WKVI that a 3rd floor apartment started on fire and the entire building was evacuated. The fire was caused by an electrical issue with the refrigerator. Marshall County Emergency Management Agency officials and the Red Cross are currently providing temporary housing for the residents living in the apartments on the entire third floor due to heavy smoke damage in the apartment building. Metzger said that no one was injured in the incident.