WKVI morning show host Tom Berg and sports director Nathan Welter answered their cold water challenge Thursday afternoon in the radio station parking lot. They were called out by news director Mary Perren to either donate $10 to the Hoosier Burn Camp and get wet or stay dry and write a $100 check. The guys decided to play along, so members of the Bass Lake Fire Department brought their dump tank to our parking lot and filled it with water. Several listeners also stopped by with extra ice and donations to really help the guys chill out. Another Step Forward Walking Challenge Coordinator Ryan Greer had also been called out previously, as had fire chief Les Jensen. They took the plunge as well. So did Knox High School Band Director Craige Phipps, who opted not to prolong his torture when Nathan called him out. WKVI raised $200 in donations for the Hoosier Burn Camp, thanks to the generosity of the listeners who donated and the staff for being such good sports.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department responded to a house fire near Toto last night and spent more than two hours getting the blaze under control. The house is located west of Toto between 100 West and Range Road, according to dispatchers with the Starke County Sheriff’s Office. No injuries were reported. Firefighters were called out at 7:45 last night and left shortly after 10 p.m. There’s no word yet on the extent of the damages. We’ll update our story as soon as we talk to the fire chief.
An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office will be called in to determine the origin and cause of a fire that destroyed a Starke County business. The Bass Lake Fire Department was initially called to C &C Salvage on U.S. 35 south of Toto Road at 5:17 p.m. Thursday night, according to dispatchers from the Starke County Sheriff’s Office. A black mushroom cloud of smoke could be seen for miles. Firefighters from the Knox, North Judson, Hamlet, Washington Township, Koontz Lake, San Pierre and Monterey were all called in to assist. Bass Lake Fire Chief Les Jensen says one firefighter suffered minor injuries. Continue reading
One person was found dead at a fire scene at 2795 E. State Road 10 in Knox on Monday night.
The Bass Lake Fire Department was called to the scene at 11:05 p.m. CT and firefighters were on the scene for approximately eight hours. Members of the North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department assisted at the scene.
A North Judson family lost their home the day after Christmas due to an accidental fire. The North Judson-Wayne Township Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the home on Wesley Street around 2:45 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 26 and remained on the scene for about two hours. Nobody was injured, but the family’s dog died in the blaze. Fire Chief Joe Leszek tells WKVI News the trailer fire was started by the homeowner trying to unthaw pipes.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department has received a couple new pieces of equipment, thanks to the township trustee. The township purchased a new positive pressure fan and two new task force tip nozzles for the fire department, allowing them to more effectively fight fires and prevent further property damage.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department will soon be cleaning their equipment with some real power, after the town board this week approved a purchase order for Fire Chief Joe Leszek to purchase a pressure washer. Clerk-Treasurer Donna Henry said the pressure washer will be installed in the fire station at a cost of $3200.
Firefighters from the North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday afternoon.
Fire Chief Joe Leszek told WKVI that they were called out at about 12:07 p.m. CT Saturday to 3800 W. Third Street in North Judson. When they arrived at the scene, they found the home’s garage and the home on fire. Leszak said all occupants got out of the home safely and no injuries were reported.
The fire had started in the garage and spread quickly to the home. Leszek indicated that the home was not a total loss but heavily damaged.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Firefighters from four departments in three counties spent the night fighting a blaze at the grain elevator in San Pierre. Dispatchers got a call about the fire just after 9 last night and notified the San Pierre Volunteer Fire Department. They were assisted by North Judson, Medaryville and Wheatfield. No injuries were reported, and the firefighters cleared the scene at 1:12 this morning. There’s no word yet on the origin of the blaze.
Firefighters were busy responding to various calls this weekend.
Spring fever has hit and everyone has been out cleaning yards and burning unwanted brush and leaves. Firefighters ask that you not burn anything outside on days where the gusty winds are forecast. It’s safer to put off until a calm wind is predicted in order to burn things outside.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department battled a house fire Saturday in the 200 block of Weninger Street in North Judson.
Police were notified of the fire who then alerted the Starke County Sheriff’s Department to dispatch the fire department. Firefighters arrived on the scene and extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported and the homeowner was not home at the time of the fire. The structure was a total loss.
The fire department was called back to the scene later that day for a rekindle.
Fire Chief Joe Leszek stated that the fire started by the water heater and while no suspicious circumstances were cited, the homeowner’s insurance company will be investigating the incident from here.
Members from the Hamlet, Washington Township, Knox-Center Township and North Judson-Wayne Township fire departments recently participated in a live fire training in Lakeville.
On Dec. 28, the Mobile Live Fire Training Trailer Unit traveled to Lakeville so the firefighters could train in the mobile flashover training simulator free of charge. Two weeks prior to this training, instructors in Starke County were given instruction in the “train the trainer” program and all went well.
For the third year in a row, Joe Leszek will be filling the shoes of North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Chief, having been nominated by the 25-member department. Mike Scutchfield remains as the assistant fire chief despite being nominated by Leszek for the chief position, as Scutchfield’s work schedule did not allow enough time for him to handle the additional responsibilities. Fortunately, Leszek said the teamwork between the pair is phenomenal.
“It’s great. Mike Scutchfield is a great assistant chief; I nominated him for chief this year, and with his work schedule, he’s just unable to fulfill some of the responsibilities that the town board has. Hopefully in the near future he’ll be taking over for me!” Leszek said.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Firefighters battled a house fire Friday night on 250 West.
Fire Chief Joe Leszek said flames were showing from the front of the home when they arrived on scene. They entered the home and extinguished the fire. No one was home at the time of the fire and Leszek says the fire appeared to have been started by an electrical issue.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department was called to a house fire at 112 Lane Street Friday evening. Fire Chief Joe Leszek said the fire occurred at a multiple family dwelling and the structure sustained damage.
No preliminary cause of the fire has been given and it remains under investigation with the State Fire Marshal’s Office. More information on the fire will be released as the investigation unfolds.
On this Fourth of July, it’s important to celebrate responsibly. Law enforcement will be working hard today to keep the roads free of impaired drivers as well as unrestrained motorists.
Officers and firefighters try to help the public the best they can, and according to these statistics, they are busy doing just that.
Three fire departments battled a house fire at 200 E. and 500 S. in the Bass Lake area yesterday afternoon.
Firefighters from the Bass Lake, Knox-Center Township and North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Departments responded to the location where a 100-year old structure was fully engulfed in flames before crews arrived on scene. No cause has been released yet. A representative from the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s office was scheduled to meet with Bass Lake fire officials to determine a cause of the fire.
The warm weather has prompted early spring cleaning and North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Chief, Joe Leszek, says his department has been called out to several brush fires already this season.
In the past five days, firefighters have been called to seven brush/woods fires. Leszek asks that you be cautious when burning brush this time of year as foliage has not yet begun its spring transformation and is dry. Winds are usually very strong and unpredictable this time of year.
Starke County emergency personnel were called to an accident yesterday afternoon where two vehicles burst into flames.
When officers arrived at the scene at U.S. 421 in San Pierre, they found a semi and a car fully engulfed in flames. Both drivers had been pulled from the wreckage. Officers determined that the driver of the passenger vehicle crossed the center line causing the accident. The semi was hauling mattresses which took firefighters nearly three hours to extinguish.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department was called to a house fire Tuesday morning at about 10:13 a.m.
Firefighters, Starke County EMS and the North Judson Police Department responded to 3942 W. 3rd Street. The fire was contained to the upper level of the home and the home sustained major smoke damage. A two-year-old child was taken from the residence to IU Health Starke Hospital and hospitalized.