Firefighters from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department battled a house fire in the 1400 block of U.S. 35 just north of Knox.
When they arrived at the scene just after 9:30 p.m. Monday, flames could be seen from the back of the residence. Dark, heavy smoke billowed from the eaves. According to Fire Chief Kenny Pfost, all of the occupants were out of the house, but a dog remained inside. Firefighters entered the house, located the dog and carried it to safety. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters from three fire departments battled a fire this morning at a building on the northeast corner of Plymouth and Starke Streets in Hamlet.
Three people were injured in a traffic accident on U.S. 30 at Knoll Brothers in Starke County this morning.
Starke County deputies conducted an investigation and found that a semi truck pulled out of the truck stop headed west on U.S. 30 when a driver in an SUV traveling in the same direction rear-ended the semi, according to witness accounts released in a news release by the sheriff’s department. The SUV rolled on its side. The SUV was pulling a wood chipper at the time of the accident. The semi was stopped four-tenths of a mile west of the scene on U.S. 30.
A house fire in Knox on Thursday turned out to be the act of arson and a suspect is in custody.
Firefighters from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department were called to a house fire in the 2000 East block of County Road 200 South at 8 p.m. on July 24. When they arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames.
The Knox City Council tabled a discussion on a mutual aid agreement between the city and the Bass Lake Fire Department.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost told the council members that he doesn’t approve of the agreement presented and will talk with Bass Lake Fire Chief Les Jensen about an agreement that would be acceptable between both parties.
Chief Pfost stated that the departments are operating under a mutual aid agreement provided by the state, but he would like to see it tailored to fit the needs of both departments.
Thank you to WKVI listener Marcia Lockner for the photo of Sunday’s fire on 175 N. at U.S. 35
The cause of the house fire on 175 North just east of U.S. 35 in Starke County on Sunday was determined as arson.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost said there were many areas of origin. The home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived at the scene. Firefighters were battling a woods fire at the time the house fire was called into the Sheriff’s Department. Hamlet and Washington Township firefighters assisted at the scene along with water and manpower support from the Koontz Lake Fire Department.
The Starke County Sheriff’s Department investigated two accidents on Sunday.
At 11:20 a.m., officers responded to a call of a vehicle in a water-filled ditch on State Road 8 and Range Road. The car landed on its roof in the ditch. The driver, Kaitlyn Vukelich of Schererville, and her four-year-old daughter were pulled from the vehicle by a passerby.
An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office will be called in to determine the origin and cause of a fire that destroyed a Starke County business. The Bass Lake Fire Department was initially called to C &C Salvage on U.S. 35 south of Toto Road at 5:17 p.m. Thursday night, according to dispatchers from the Starke County Sheriff’s Office. A black mushroom cloud of smoke could be seen for miles. Firefighters from the Knox, North Judson, Hamlet, Washington Township, Koontz Lake, San Pierre and Monterey were all called in to assist. Bass Lake Fire Chief Les Jensen says one firefighter suffered minor injuries. Continue reading
The cause of a house fire on Toto Road near Fletcher’s Carpet will be investigated by a representative of the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office today.
Firefighters from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department and Bass Lake Fire Department were called to the scene Monday night and extinguished the fire after three hours of battling sub-zero temperatures and frozen water valves. Crews were called back to the scene at 3:45 a.m. Tuesday for a rekindle. Fire Chief Kenny Pfost told WKVI that heavy fire was visible in both instances.
No injuries were reported.
An investigator with the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s office will be in the area on Thursday to determine the cause of a house fire on Toto Road near Fletcher’s Carpet.
According to Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost, the firefighters extinguished the blaze after battling the fire for three hours at the scene Monday night. Firefighters were called back to the residence for a rekindle at 3:45 a.m. Tuesday. Heavy fire was coming from the home in both instances.
Toto Road Fire
A pair of house fires kept firefighters from five area departments busy last night. The Knox-Center Township and California Township Volunteer Fire Departments responded to a fire on Toto Road at Lart Lane near Fletcher’s Carpet and spent three hours battling that blaze. They were called out around 8:10 p.m., according to dispatchers from the Starke County Sheriff’s Office.
In Pulaski County, the Francesville and Medaryville Fire Departments spent several hours fighting a fire at 6055 S. County Road 1100 W. The Buffalo Fire Department also provided manpower and water support, and Pulaski County REACT set up a warming station with coffee for the firefighters and EMS personnel on the scene. No injuries were reported at either fire scene. We’ll have more information about both later this morning.
A Christmas tree is a beautiful symbol that brightens up your home for the holidays.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost urges you to keep safety a number one priority this season.
“If you purchase a live Christmas tree, try and make sure you get the freshest tree possible. You want to choose one with fresh, green needles that don’t fall off when you touch them. If you choose an artificial tree, make sure it’s labeled as ‘fire retardant,’” stated Pfost.
The Knox-Center Township Fire Department responded to a house fire Sunday morning in Knox.
Fire Chief Kenny Pfost stated that the firefighters arrived at 7 N. Bower St. shortly after 10 a.m. and battled the blaze that was reportedly started by an electrical heater. The fire was contained to the second floor, but the first floor sustained smoke and water damage.
No assistance was called in and Pfost said the fire was extinguished fairly quickly. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire at the corner of Mound and Prettman Street in Knox is undetermined.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost told WKVI that there is too much damage and the structure is unsafe to excavate.
Knox-Center Township firefighters were at the scene for several hours in the overnight hours on Sunday battling the that fire that destroyed the property that was once known as “Mackey’s Boarding House.”
Knox City Council
Knox-Center Township firefighter Wayne Noah and Fire Chief Kenny Pfost were at the Knox City Council meeting Tuesday night to raise questions about Noah’s injury claim through the city.
Noah was injured five weeks ago while assisting in an investigation at a fire scene. He fractured his ankle in the incident and has filed a claim through the city. He has received some money from the insurance but not all of what is owed to him.
The fire that destroyed a vacant home on County Road 300 East just south of Binkley Drive last Friday morning was deliberately set, according to fire investigators. The Knox-Center Township Fire Department was dispatched to the scene around 1 a.m. and remained on the scene for about six hours. An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office was called in to determine the cause. Firefighters were called back to the residence around 5 last evening for a rekindle and spent 90 minutes or so there.
Anyone with information the fires is urged to call the state’s arson hotline at 1-800-382-4628. A reward of up to $5,000 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest or conviction. Callers can remain anonymous.
This morning’s fire at a vacant home in the 1300 South block of 300 East near Binkley Drive in Knox remains under investigation. Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost says an investigator from the state fire marshal’s office has been called in, and the police are also looking into the incident. Firefighters were dispatched to the home around 1 a.m. and remained on the scene for about 6 hours. No injuries were reported. Pfost adds nobody was living in the house at the time.
This week is Fire Prevention Week. Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost said one thing to remember is to have an escape ladder in the house if you own a two-story house, make sure your home’s address is visible for firefighters from the road and check your smoke detector’s batteries.
“This time of the year is always a good time to change the battery in your smoke detectors. You also need to be checking the batteries at least once a month. If you hear smoke detectors chirp, it’s time to change the batteries,” explained Pfost.
Fire crews remain at the scene of a plane crash just south of the runway at the Starke County Airport
Personnel from the Starke County Sheriff’s Department and the Knox-Center Township Fire Department are on the scene of a fatal plane crash at the Starke County Airport.
The single-engine plane was coming in on the south end of the runway and went down at approximately 3 p.m. Sheriff Oscar Cowen said that the male pilot is deceased but could not elaborate on any more details as the investigation continues.
We’re nearing the Fourth of July holiday and it’s the time for celebrations that include fireworks.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost offers a few tips for your holiday celebration.