Published: February 15th, 2012
The West Central Lady Trojans have won their 2nd consecutive sectional title! The Trojans had very little trouble collecting their championship in the all Midwest Conference sectional at North White. In their first game, West Central outscored Pioneer 26-6 in the first half on their way to a 43-22 win, behind Marissa Hamilton’s game-high 15 points. The Trojans came back in their second game to defeat Tri-County 54-39 and put themselves in the championship game. The duo of Hamilton and Justine Kruger combined for 37 of the team’s 54 points. In the championship game, West Central’s smothering defense was too much for Caston as the Trojans defeated the Lady Comets 43-18. Again, it was the combination of Hamilton and Kruger who lead the offensive charge, this time scoring 34 of the team’s 43 points. This sectional championship is the fourth in the six year coaching career of Gina Hierlmeier, proving that tradition never graduates!
West Central (18-5) will be taking on Fort Wayne Canterbury (21-2) in the first round of the Caston Regional. Congratulations to the West Central Lady Trojans on their 2nd consecutive sectional championship!
Published: December 4th, 2011
Girls Career Scoring Leaders: (Minimum 300 points)
- Sarah Redweik-Sr. (W): 595
- Jordann Frasure-Jr. (NJ): 486
- Elisabeth White-Sr. (NJ): 451
- Justine Kruger-Sr. (WC): 441
- Jesse Averone-So. (OD): 423
- Ashley Campbell-So. (OD): 414
- Marissa Hamilton-Sr. (WC): 382
- Kenley Sanchez-Sr. (NJ): 376
- Danna Timm-Sr. (NJ): 321
- Hope Wagner-Sr (K): 306
Published: December 4th, 2011
Girls Scoring Leaders (through 12-3-11)
(Stats as reported to www.etpearl.com)
- Jill Rosenbaum (SC): 16.4ppg-82 points (5 games)
- Ashley Campbell (OD): 14.6ppg-73 points (5 games)
- Kyler Columbia (JG): 14.6ppg-73 points (5 games)
- Jesse Averone (OD): 14.2ppg-71 points (5 games)
- Marissa Hamilton (WC): 13.8ppg-69 points (5 games)
- Alisha McIntosh (OD): 13.8ppg-69 points (5 games)
- Kayla Shaffer (C): 12.5ppg-100 points (8 games)
- Justine Kruger (WC): 12.2ppg-61 points (5 games)
- Hope Wagner (K): 11.8ppg-71 points (6 games)
- Jessica Schramm (W): 11.6ppg-93 points (8 games)
- Sarah Redweik (W): 11.1ppg-89 points (8 games)
- Jordann Frasure (NJ): 11.0ppg-55 points (5 games)
- Mickella Hardy (C): 10.6ppg-85 points (8 games)
- Stephanie Shorter (W): 10.6ppg-85 points (8 games)
- Katie Schwenk (OD): 10.4ppg-52 points (5 games)
- Kayla Zimmerman (NJ): 10.4ppg-52 points (5 games)
Career Coaching Records: (through 12-3-11)
- Terry Minix (OD): 251-136 .649 (19 years)
- John Hampton (NJ): 109-72 .602 (9 years)
- Dan Huizenga (K): 109-98 .527 (10 years)
- Gina Hierlmeier (WC): 79-39 .669 (6 years)
- Tony Scheub (C): 29-6 .828(2 years)
- Rick Budka (SC): 26-41 .388 (4 years)
- Jeff Wagner (W): 19-12 .613 (2 years)
- Brian McMahan (L): 4-23 .148 (3 years)
- Kyle Amor (JG): 1-4 .200 (1 year)
Team Records: (through 12-3-11)
- Winamac: 6-2
- NJSP: 4-1
- Oregon-Davis: 4-1
- Culver: 4-4
- West Central: 3-2
- LaCrosse: 2-5
- John Glenn: 1-4
- South Central: 1-4
- Knox: 1-5
Published: May 10th, 2011
Courtney Nelson gets a base hit for West Central.
Bethany Brogdon faces a West Central batter.
Justine Krueger attempts to catch a fly ball against Winamac.
Whitney Hook hits a double for Winamac.
The Winamac Lady Warriors emerged victorious over MWC rival West Central on Friday 15-6. The Lady Trojans jumped out to a 6-1 lead in the 3rd inning before the Warriors got their bats going en route to a big conference win. Rachael Tetzloff jump started Winamac by hitting a 2-run homer in the bottom of the third inning to cut the Trojans lead to three. Bethany Brogdon got the win for Winamac.
Published: February 24th, 2011
West Central Students
Coach Gina Hierlmeier
The West Central Lady Trojans won their 4th sectional championship in the last 6 years by defeating DeMotte Covenant Christian, Pioneer, and Tri-County at the West Central Sectional. The Trojans’ season came to an end in the first round of the Caston Regional when they lost to Bowman Academy 49-41. Their 18-5 final record as well as the Sectional Championship quieted West Central’s critiques who were anticipating a down year. Congratulations to the Sectional Champion West Central Lady Trojans on an outstanding season!
Published: February 8th, 2011
Our Tyler Roth/WKVI Athlete of the Week for this week is Justine Kruger, a member of the Girls Basketball Team at West Central High School.
Justine helped her team to back-to-back victories over Winamac and North Judson-San Pierre for the first time in school history as the Lady Trojans got off to a 5-1 start on the new season, a shocking surprise to most observers after losing 6 Seniors from last year’s 17-6 team.
The 5-7 Junior scored 14 points in a 40-34 win over arch-rival Winamac then came back with 14 points and 13 rebounds in a 42-39 victory over North Judson two nights later.
A 3-year Varsity performer in basketball, Justine was also named All-Conference and Academic All-Conference in Volleyball this year. She is a member of the National Honor Society, the Student Council and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes as well as being active in 4-H and the youth group at her Church.
Justine is the daughter of Gary and Tish Kruger and will be featured on “Sports Talk with Nathan Welter” Thursday night on WKVI.
Congratulations to Justine Kruger of West Central High School, our Tyler Roth/WKVI Athlete of the Week.
Published: November 26th, 2010
Culver-52 West Central-46. (Leading Scorers: Culver-Zoe Bauer-16; Collin Stevens-15. WC-Evan Kruger-10; Alex Chrzan-8).
Culver-64 North White-30 (Leading Scorers: Culver-Patrice McBee-16; Gwen Zehner-16).
West Central-42 South Newton-22 (Leading Scorers: WC-Justine Kruger-13; Marissa Hamilton-10).
The North Judson-San Pierre Bluejays boys basketball team took care of the Knox Redskins by a score of 54-31 Wednesday night. The game was broadcast live on WKVI.