The Indiana State Fire Marshal has determined that the fire at a Hamlet business early Monday morning was accidental.
The Hamlet Fire Department arrived at the building on the northeast corner of Plymouth and Starke Streets around 3 a.m. Monday and called for assistance from the Koontz Lake Fire Department and the Knox-Center Township Fire Department. The firefighters remained at the scene for about three hours.
A two-year-old child is dead as a result of an early morning fire at a rural Starke County home. The Bass Lake Fire Department responded to a residence in the area of 700 South and 300 East just before 7:30 a.m. They pulled two adults from the blaze but were unable to find a two-year-old child in time. Continue reading
The Indiana State Fire Marshal has deemed the cause of the fire at Red Hots Bar in Walkerton as undetermined.
An official with the State Fire Marshal’s office told WKVI news that investigators were at the scene three different days to collect evidence and to search through the rubble, but there was too much damage to make a definite determination as to how the fire started.
Members of the Bass Lake Fire Department battled a garage fire and a house fire Wednesday night.
Bass Lake Fire Chief Les Jensen said they were called to the scene on the southside of the lake at 10:30 p.m. CT and the fire had spread to a neighboring home. Jensen said the garage was a total loss and the house suffered some damage.
The Indiana State Fire Marshal will visit the scene today (Friday) help investigate the cause of the fire.
No injuries were reported. Crews from the Washington Township Fire Department assisted.
Officials are investigating a fire that occurred early Sunday morning at Red Hot’s Bar in Walkerton.
The fire started around 3:30 a.m. ET and crews were on the scene for several hours attempting to extinguish the fire. Several departments responded to the scene.
The fire started in the basement, according to report on WNDU-TV.
The Indiana State Fire Marshal will assist in the investigation.
Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Sunday local time. Before you go to bed tonight or at 2 a.m. Sunday, you will need to set your clocks back one hour.
The Indiana State Fire Marshal encourages you to change the batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clock. Smoke detector batteries should be changed twice a year.
An investigator from the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office will be in Knox tomorrow to determine the cause of the fire at Standard Pallet on 300 East on Friday. Firefighters from four different fire departments were on the scene for nine hours to ensure that the fire was extinguished.
On Tuesday night, the Knox City Council members expressed their gratitude to the firefighters for their dedication to the safety of the citizens of Knox. It was noted that the firefighters are volunteers and it’s their life and time they put on the line to respond to a fire and to assist the needs of residents. Some firefighters made sure to notify employers of the situation last week and stayed on the scene to make sure that the area was secure before leaving.
An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office will be in Starke County today to determine the origin and cause of a Saturday morning house fire. The Washington Township Volunteer Fire Department was called to an unoccupied home at 8875 East 25 North in Knox just after 5 a.m. and remained on the scene for nearly two hours.
The Fourth of July is an exciting holiday filled with picnics and other celebrations that may include fireworks. Indiana State Police officers urge you to play it safe when using fireworks.
Only adults can purchase fireworks. A person 18 and older has to be present when anyone younger than 18 is using or possessing consumer fireworks. Children must be supervised at all times when fireworks are in use.
The Fourth of July is approaching and the Indiana State Fire Marshal reminds you to celebrate safely.
You are encouraged to purchase fireworks from vendors who are licensed to sell fireworks in Indiana and have a permit issued by the Indiana Department of Homeland Security’s Fire and Building Safety Division. Vendor permits must be displayed on the wall in the store. If you don’t see a permit and the owner cannot produce a permit, call the State Fire Marshal at (317) 232-2222.
One person was found dead at a fire scene at 2795 E. State Road 10 in Knox on Monday night.
The Bass Lake Fire Department was called to the scene at 11:05 p.m. CT and firefighters were on the scene for approximately eight hours. Members of the North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department assisted at the scene.
The cause of a house fire on Toto Road near Fletcher’s Carpet will be investigated by a representative of the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office today.
Firefighters from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department and Bass Lake Fire Department were called to the scene Monday night and extinguished the fire after three hours of battling sub-zero temperatures and frozen water valves. Crews were called back to the scene at 3:45 a.m. Tuesday for a rekindle. Fire Chief Kenny Pfost told WKVI that heavy fire was visible in both instances.
No injuries were reported.
An electrical issue caused the fire at a home in Medaryville on Monday night.
The Indiana State Fire Marshal was at the scene this week and made the determination after an investigation.
An office that has provided the state’s residents with safety and consistency in code enforcement and in fire protection is celebrating its 100th anniversary this month.
The Office of the Indiana State Fire Marshal was established by the state legislature in 1913 to the be state’s first agency chartered to help ensure public safety. When it began, the office was simply a focal point for all of Indiana’s volunteer fire departments. Continue reading
The Indiana state fire marshal has found the cause of two house fires in Medaryville on July 2 to be undetermined.
Medaryville firefighters were called to a house fire on Prairie Street but when they arrived at the scene, they found a second home on fire. Firefighters from the Francesville Fire Department were then called to the scene.
The two-story house owned by Danny Clark was a complete loss while Randy Franscoviak’s home suffered severe damage to an exterior wall, rood and attic area. The main floor suffered heat, smoke and water damage.
Wednesday’s fire that destroyed a home on Pretty Lake Road in Plymouth owned by two doctors was caused by an electrical malfunction. Plymouth Fire Chief Rod Miller says the fire started in a basement storage room at Doctors Jeff and Jan Anthony Starr’s home. The residence was unoccupied at the time. Firefighters from numerous departments spent several hours bringing the blaze under control. The Plymouth Fire Department, state fire marshal’s office and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms completed the fire investigation. Monetary loss of the building and its contents is estimated at $1.1 million.
The fire at Dillman Tire and Auto in Winamac remains under investigation.
An investigator with the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s office is expected to return to the fire scene today. Winamac Fire Chief Bill Weaver said the representative was unable to get to Winamac earlier this week to conduct the investigation.
The late night fire destroyed the business at the corner of Logan and Pearl streets. It started late Friday night and four fire departments struggled to contain the blaze. Firefighters were able to leave the scene six hours later. Weaver has not given a preliminary cause of the fire. He hopes answers as to the cause of the blaze will be found soon.
An investigator with the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office will be in Winamac today to delve further into what caused a late Friday night fire at Dillman Tire.
The Winamac Fire Department was called to the business located at the corner of Logan and Pearl Streets at approximately 11:20 p.m. ET as several people going by noticed smoke coming from the building.
The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department was called to a house fire Tuesday morning at about 10:13 a.m.
Firefighters, Starke County EMS and the North Judson Police Department responded to 3942 W. 3rd Street. The fire was contained to the upper level of the home and the home sustained major smoke damage. A two-year-old child was taken from the residence to IU Health Starke Hospital and hospitalized.
The Medaryville Fire Department and the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office are investigating a house fire that erupted Sunday evening.
Fire Chief Shaun Hauptli said that when the fire department arrived on scene, the southern part of the home at 210 W. Main Street was engulfed in flames. The home was occupied at the time of the fire and it was on the market. The home was considered a total loss. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.