Knox senior basketball player Hope Wagner has officially committed to Indiana University Northwest where she will begin her college basketball career next winter. Wagner is coming off a year when she not only led the team in scoring and assists, but was also one of the main leaders on a team that won the school’s first sectional championship since 1995.
After graduating most of the scoring off of last year’s team, the Redhawks anticipate Wagner’s aggressive style of offense to make an immediate impact. Hope’s own expectations of herself mirror that of her future coaches, “we lost a lot of scoring, so I’m going to have to do my best going to the basket and looking to shoot as much as I can”. While attending IU Northwest, Hope plans on studying criminal justice.
Hope posses with IU coach Ryan Shelton, Knox AD Phil Owens, and Knox coach Dan Huizenga.
Hope officially signs with IU Northwest as her family looks on.
The Knox Lady Redskins have won their first sectional championship since 1995! After starting the year at 2-10, the Lady Redskins have now won 11 of their last 12 games. Their first victory of the Kankakee Valley sectional came against Andrean. The ‘Skins were lead in scoring by Hope Wagner (14) in a 53-38 effort. Knox then came back in the second round and were victorious once again, this time over Calumet 45-26. Once again, Knox was lead by Wagner who scored a game-high 12 points. The Redskins came out in the championship game ready to end the school’s 17 year drought. Knox played an incredible all-around game in a 59-45 win over Hanover Central. Shelby Gilbert was on fire from the start, knocking down four 3-pointers on her way to a 15-point game. Kaitlin Zachary added 12 points and was dominant on the boards, pulling down 15 rebounds. Hope Wagner lead the ‘Skins in scoring with 19 points. Chelsea Combs played solid defense all game long against Hanover’s top player. The Lady Redskins were so focused on being able to cut down the nets, they did not want to wait for the post game championship pictures, immediately going to the ladder after they were given the trophy ready to get their piece of history!
Knox (13-11) will be taking on Western (17-6) in the first round of the Rensselaer Regional. Congratulations to the Knox Lady Redskins on bringing home the school’s first sectional championship in 17 years!
Hope scored a game high 19 points to lead the Lady Redskins to their 4th win of the year. The bulk of her scoring came from the free throw line where she was 11-11 in Knox’s 44-35 win over Kouts. Hope also knocked down two 3-pointers and played strong defense all night.
Girls Career Scoring Leaders: (Minimum 300 points)
- Sarah Redweik-Sr. (W): 595
- Jordann Frasure-Jr. (NJ): 486
- Elisabeth White-Sr. (NJ): 451
- Justine Kruger-Sr. (WC): 441
- Jesse Averone-So. (OD): 423
- Ashley Campbell-So. (OD): 414
- Marissa Hamilton-Sr. (WC): 382
- Kenley Sanchez-Sr. (NJ): 376
- Danna Timm-Sr. (NJ): 321
- Hope Wagner-Sr (K): 306
Girls Scoring Leaders (through 12-3-11)
(Stats as reported to www.etpearl.com)
- Jill Rosenbaum (SC): 16.4ppg-82 points (5 games)
- Ashley Campbell (OD): 14.6ppg-73 points (5 games)
- Kyler Columbia (JG): 14.6ppg-73 points (5 games)
- Jesse Averone (OD): 14.2ppg-71 points (5 games)
- Marissa Hamilton (WC): 13.8ppg-69 points (5 games)
- Alisha McIntosh (OD): 13.8ppg-69 points (5 games)
- Kayla Shaffer (C): 12.5ppg-100 points (8 games)
- Justine Kruger (WC): 12.2ppg-61 points (5 games)
- Hope Wagner (K): 11.8ppg-71 points (6 games)
- Jessica Schramm (W): 11.6ppg-93 points (8 games)
- Sarah Redweik (W): 11.1ppg-89 points (8 games)
- Jordann Frasure (NJ): 11.0ppg-55 points (5 games)
- Mickella Hardy (C): 10.6ppg-85 points (8 games)
- Stephanie Shorter (W): 10.6ppg-85 points (8 games)
- Katie Schwenk (OD): 10.4ppg-52 points (5 games)
- Kayla Zimmerman (NJ): 10.4ppg-52 points (5 games)
Career Coaching Records: (through 12-3-11)
- Terry Minix (OD): 251-136 .649 (19 years)
- John Hampton (NJ): 109-72 .602 (9 years)
- Dan Huizenga (K): 109-98 .527 (10 years)
- Gina Hierlmeier (WC): 79-39 .669 (6 years)
- Tony Scheub (C): 29-6 .828(2 years)
- Rick Budka (SC): 26-41 .388 (4 years)
- Jeff Wagner (W): 19-12 .613 (2 years)
- Brian McMahan (L): 4-23 .148 (3 years)
- Kyle Amor (JG): 1-4 .200 (1 year)
Team Records: (through 12-3-11)
- Winamac: 6-2
- NJSP: 4-1
- Oregon-Davis: 4-1
- Culver: 4-4
- West Central: 3-2
- LaCrosse: 2-5
- John Glenn: 1-4
- South Central: 1-4
- Knox: 1-5