Greeting to all and welcome new friends to the EastWing.
The other day I made a purchase at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, looking like a deer in the headlights, while staring at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she called the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried……
Why do I tell you this? Because just in case you don’t already know, things have changed in the public school systems over the last half century. Sure you thought math was one field of knowledge that was absolute. Once learned forever known.
Well maybe not so much so. It turns out that those who I’m sure, consider themselves way smarter than you and I, have devised a new plan to educate the masses in the field of mathematics.
The evolution in teaching math since the 1960s is striking. For those of you who still know how to calculate without paper, pencil, or calculator, using only your mind, this may be depressing. I share your dismay.
1. Teaching Math In 1950s (when I attended the Tip Top Elementary School System, Tip Top KY) A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?
2. Teaching Math In 1970s: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
3. Teaching Math In 1980s : A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit ?Yes or No
4. Teaching Math In 1990s : A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20 Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
5. Teaching Math In 2000s : A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it’s ok).
6. Teaching Math In 2014 : Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho? ANSWER: His profit was $375,000 because his logging business is just a front for his pot farm.
Back in the late 70s and 80s, I sat on the North Judson School Board for some 12 years or so. Saw this coming down the pike. Then proposed we address the matter of dumbing down society. Was informed that matter was something to be left to the professional educators. That it was an issue being addressed by the goals and objectives of the National Teachers Association. As well as the Indiana State Teachers Association. So I had nothing to worry about.
Guess we can all now judge the way the National Teachers Association and the Indiana State Teachers Association handled my fears of dumbing down society. Sad but true, all too often many if not most students graduating from high school cannot make change for any financial transaction without some kind of mechanical device to provide the calculations.
So unless you want to make the little counter girl at Burger King cry, don’t give her both bills and coins unless at the same time unless they total the correct amount of your purchase.
In life there’s a time for everything. A time to frown, a time to smile, A time to laugh, a time to cry. A time to live, a time to die. And so it was for my dear Sophia, The Conservative Calico Republican Cat, her time to die.
Friendship is one of the many gifts from God. Be it boy, girl, dog, cat, turtle or fish, when that friendship ends it hurts. A lot. A real lot.
Damn Republican Cat.
Stay safe in Afghanistan.
From The EastWing, Making Change At Burger King, Old Math Going Going Gone Away, That Cat Was A Friend of Mine, Damn Republican Cat
I Wish You Well,