A restaurant in Medaryville called the local fire department after some material in the kitchen caught fire.
An employee at La Taqueria Mexican Restaurant described to fire investigators that the source of the flames was near the fryer. The employee attempted to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, but Sergeant Jared Gudeman says the damage spread, prompting the call at 11:00 a.m. EDT on Monday morning.
It took crews about five minutes to respond to the incident, taking another five minutes to extinguish the fire.
Smoke damage was seen throughout the restaurant. Additional damage was reported in the roof trusses at the restaurant. According to Medaryville Fire Department officials, the restaurant sustained sufficient damage to close for a period.
Investigators determined that the employees’ remarks were accurate, describing the incident as a grease fire. No injuries were reported.
The Francesville Fire Department also responded to the scene to provide additional aid.