Dog Credited with Saving Homeowner from House Fire


A dog bite may have been the difference between life and death for a Bass Lake man. Fire Chief Les Jensen says his department was called to a house fire in Boa Shores around 3:30 Saturday morning. The homeowner was asleep when the fire started.

Jensen says his dog woke him up by biting him, and he was able to get out of the house safely. The Bass Lake and Knox-Center Township Volunteer Fire Departments spent about 2.5 hours battling the blaze. They were assisted by two Starke County Sheriff’s deputies and officers from the Knox Police Department.

Jensen says the fire was electrical in nature and started accidentally. It’s uncertain whether the home had working smoke detectors. Jensen said the fire got so hot it melted all of the plastic, but it appears there were smoke detectors in place.