LaPorte BMV Fire Ruled Undetermined


The Sunday morning fire at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch in LaPorte was ruled undetermined.

LaPorte Fire Chief Andy Snyder told WKVI News that there were a couple of sources where the fire started that could point to an electrical issue. The fire caused extensive damage to two rooms in the BMV office.

The BMV office shares building space with a video store and a restaurant. The fire was contained to the BMV.

LaPorte firefighters were called to the scene just before 1 a.m. CT on Sunday and the fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes. Snyder said firefighters stayed on the scene for the next few hours to conduct an investigation.

Snyder noted that police found the building on fire when they reported to a burglar alarm at the building. In this case, the burglar alarm acted as a fire alarm as there were no signs of a burglary.

LaPorte residents needing to conduct business with the BMV may do so at a mobile unit at the Lincoln Way location. Credential and registration transactions may be done at the site. All other transactions may be done at any of the surrounding branches in Michigan City, Valparaiso, South Bend, Walkerton, or Knox. Any other business can be done at or by calling 1-888-692-6841.