A Thursday night fire at a LaPorte home was deliberately set, according to authorities. LaPorte Police and Fire responded to the residence in the 200 block of Cable Street at 9:18 p.m., according to a news release. The occupant said he was in the living room, heard a “splashing” noise, saw a moving light source and the bathroom burst into flames. He told the officers he thinks someone poured gasoline through the open bathroom window and tossed in a lit match. Police say the house belongs to the occupant’s father. The bank is foreclosing on the property, but the son has been staying there
Written by Mary Perren
WKVI News Director Mary Perren is glad to be back home in northern Indiana and on the radio. She’s a North Judson native with more than 20 years of news experience. She’s worked in print and radio news in Indianapolis, Hopkinsville, Ky., Nashville, Tenn. and most recently in Winamac before taking over as news director for Kankakee Valley Broadcasting in February of 2013. Her work has been honored by the Associated Press, StateNets News Association, Curb Foundation, Hoosier State Press Association and IBA. When she’s not sitting in the anchor chair or chasing down news, Mary enjoys shopping for antiques, attending concerts and taking long walks and rides in her vintage Saab convertible, weather permitting. She’s also a hopelessly devoted Chicago Cubs fanatic who still cringes at the mention of Steve Garvey and Josh Beckett and maintains it wasn’t Steve Bartman’s fault.