Medaryville Residents Lose Family Pets in House Fire


Firefighters with the Medaryville Fire Department responded to a house fire Monday night.

 Chief Shaun Hauptli told WKVI that neighbors called 911 when they noticed smoke coming from the home owned by Stacy and Amanda White at 12070 W. 100 N. Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke but no visible fire coming from the southeast part of the single-story home.

 Firefighters were able to quickly ventilate the roof and extinguish the fire. The fire was contained to a bedroom. Hauptli said all members of the department who responded acted quickly to try and save the residence.

 The family members were not at home at the time of the fire. The family lost their three dogs, a cat, a rabbit and a lizard. No other injuries were reported.

 The structure suffered heat and smoke damage. The Indiana State Fire Marshal has been notified and will be investigating the scene.

 Chief Hauptli noted that the firefighters heard the smoke alarms when they arrived at the scene and said it’s not often those are heard when they arrive at a scene. He stated that it’s a good reminder to make sure smoke alarms work properly.