The lack of propane has forced residents to use alternate heating sources which may lead to more problems if those sources are not used properly.
If you are using woodstoves or fireplaces, use only dry, seasoned wood to avoid the build-up of creosote. Creosote is an oily deposit that can easily catch fire. Avoid using a flammable liquid to start the fire. A sturdy screen should be placed in front of the fireplace to avoid sparks from flying into the room.
Space heaters should be kept away from all flammable items. Don’t plug a space heater into an overloaded electrical outlet. It is also recommended that you not plug a space heater into a power strip.
Emergency generators should be used outdoors away from windows and doors to prevent fumes from entering the home.
A carbon monoxide detector should also be installed to help detect dangerous carbon monoxide levels. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless and non-irritating gas that’s created when fuels don’t completely burn. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause similar symptoms to the common cold or flu, such as headaches, nausea and dizziness. These detectors should be placed outside each sleeping area and on every level on the home.