An electrical issue caused the fire at a home in Medaryville on Monday night.
The Indiana State Fire Marshal was at the scene this week and made the determination after an investigation.
Medaryville firefighters were called to the home at 12070 W. 100 N. Monday night. Chief Shaun Hauptli told WKVI when firefighters arrived at the scene they found heavy smoke and were able to quickly ventilate the roof and extinguish the fire. The fire was contained to a bedroom.
The family members were not at home at the time of the fire. Neighbors called emergency dispatchers to report the fire. The family lost their family pets in the incident. No other injuries were reported.
The structure suffered heat and smoke damage.