A North Judson family lost their home the day after Christmas due to an accidental fire. The North Judson-Wayne Township Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the home on Wesley Street around 2:45 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 26 and remained on the scene for about two hours. Nobody was injured, but the family’s dog died in the blaze. Fire Chief Joe Leszek tells WKVI News the trailer fire was started by the homeowner trying to unthaw pipes.
Written by Mary Perren
WKVI News Director Mary Perren is glad to be back home in northern Indiana and on the radio. She’s a North Judson native with more than 20 years of news experience. She’s worked in print and radio news in Indianapolis, Hopkinsville, Ky., Nashville, Tenn. and most recently in Winamac before taking over as news director for Kankakee Valley Broadcasting in February of 2013. Her work has been honored by the Associated Press, StateNets News Association, Curb Foundation, Hoosier State Press Association and IBA. When she’s not sitting in the anchor chair or chasing down news, Mary enjoys shopping for antiques, attending concerts and taking long walks and rides in her vintage Saab convertible, weather permitting. She’s also a hopelessly devoted Chicago Cubs fanatic who still cringes at the mention of Steve Garvey and Josh Beckett and maintains it wasn’t Steve Bartman’s fault.