The Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office urges you to use heating equipment with caution and to install a carbon monoxide detector if any type of fuel is used for heating or cooking.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and non-irritating gas created when fuels burn incompletely. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause similar symptoms to the common cold or flu, such as headaches, nausea and dizziness.
Install a carbon monoxide detector outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Choose an alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Test the alarm once a month and replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the alarm sounds, move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive.
If you have any questions about carbon monoxide alarms, call your local fire department.