Police were notified of the fire who then alerted the Starke County Sheriff’s Department to dispatch the fire department. Firefighters arrived on the scene and extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported and the homeowner was not home at the time of the fire. The structure was a total loss.
The fire department was called back to the scene later that day for a rekindle.
Fire Chief Joe Leszek stated that the fire started by the water heater and while no suspicious circumstances were cited, the homeowner’s insurance company will be investigating the incident from here.