The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have increased the number of confirmed Indiana cases of fungal meningitis to 45, this after reporting 44 cases previously. The number of deaths, however, remains at three, and the health officer for Elkhart County has announced that all three deaths were linked to his county.
Fortunately, the mother of a northern Indiana teenager who had been infected said the girl should be making her return to school this week, following her recovery from fungal meningitis. Tracy Klemm of Bristol said her 16-year-old daughter Karissa was diagnosed earlier in Oct. 11 before being hospitalized for 10 days. Karissa is expected to return to school today.
Further, six victims of the outbreak in Elkhart County have filed lawsuits against the pharmacy that produced the tainted back steroid linked to the infections. The victims are each separately represented by the Law Offices of David Holub of Merrillville and Foley & Small of South Bend, and they are seeking unspecified damages in the suits that have been filed in Elkhart Superior Court.
Attorney General Greg Zoeller is also looking to have the pharmacy’s license suspended by the Indiana Pharmacy Board. The board will consider his request at their next meeting on Nov. 5.