Electrical Fire Closes Knox Taco Bell Temporarily

A fire at the business caused the Knox Taco Bell to be closed for several hours.

A fire at the Knox Taco Bell yesterday brought the term “fiery hot” to the next level. An electrical fire occurred at the fast food chain at around 1 p.m. CT, but the fire had been extinguished by the time emergency crews had arrived.

Fire Chief Ken Pfost said the fire appeared to be caused by an electrical issue at an outlet near the drive-thru. He said the outlet had an extension cord plugged into it and may have overloaded the circuit, causing the fire, but did not trip the breakers.

Employees managed to quickly extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher before the fire department arrived, and the business was closed for several hours as employees concentrated on cleanup. The store manager on duty at the time of the fire said they will have an electrician come out before they reopen to double-check their electrical systems and ensure that no underlying problems remain.

Fortunately, the fire did not trip the building’s fire suppression system, which would have caused a significantly larger mess and would likely have closed the business for at least a day. The manager said she planned to have the business reopen before the end of the day. The business reopened around 4:30 p.m., having been closed for only a few short hours.