The Starke County Sheriff’s Department had two reports of a car sliding off the road during the recent snow event. The Sheriff’s Department offers these tips for safe winter driving:
- Take time to remove snow from your vehicle, especially around lights and mirrors.
- Allow at least 200 feet following distance between County and State snow plow trucks.
- Check tire pressure to ensure proper traction.
- Avoid making sudden lane change movements while driving in traffic.
- Don’t use cruise control during a precipitation event or freezing temperatures.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle that includes a cell phone, blanket, gloves, and windshield washing fluid.
- Slow down. Remember posted speed limits are ideal for normal conditions. It can take up to nine times longer to stop on snow or ice than on dry pavement.